GAME #2: CAPE HORN TO SAN FRANCISCO
1. What activity was popular in 1853 as a means of contacting the spirit world?
2. What landmark building did Sarah take a carriage ride to visit while in San Francisco?
3. What woman with whom Sarah was acquainted was known for her beautiful San Francisco gardens and was thought to have brought the first female Chinese immigrant to America?
MRS. CHARLES VAN MEGEN GILLESPIE
4. Who was the famous daughter of the man who ran the raffles at the Chinese Exhibition Room?
5. What method of solving disputes was popular in the wild west of 1853 San Francisco?
6. Who collected data from thousands of ships around the world in 1853 to help improve navigation using wind and current charts?
LIEUTENANT MATTHEW FONTAINE MAURY, US NAVY
In addition to winds and currents, they tracked ship traffic, weather patterns, trade winds, ocean temperatures, storm and rain charts, and whale migration patterns.
7. How many sails did the Sea Serpent have?
8. How many voyages did Williams Howland make on the Sea Serpent?
9. Where did the crew sleep on a clipper ship and where was it located?
The crew slept in the forecastle, at the front of the ship, before the mast.
10. What were the 4 main routes to the California Gold Rush in 1853?
Around the Horn, Overland, Panama Route, Nicaragua Route
11. What ship hit a rock on its way to California from Nicaragua killing over 100 people?
12. What famous person survived the SS Tennessee sinking and started a clothing phenomenon?
13. What book was Sarah forbidden to read as a child?
14. Who was the famous opera singer who sang in San Franciso during the Gold Rush?
15. What organnization was started by a descendant of Sarah with the mission of helping those who are hard of hearing?
THE NITCHIE SERVICE LEAGUE